Dutch Oven Chicken Recipe
This is a simple meal that turns out really well so I thought that I'd share it. It is very easy to cook and doesn't require much for very tasty results.
What you need
- An un-frozen whole chicken (remove giblets)
- A few potatoes chopped up to whatever size you like
- Rosemary placed on top of chicken
- Whatever other seasoning you like
1) The first step is to put about 1.5-2 inches of water at the bottom of the dutch oven. Then drop the chicken in (breast side up).
2) Put the chopped potatoes around the chicken and the rosemary placed on top of the chicken. Sprinkle on some lemon pepper or whatever other seasoning you want.
3) Get your coals ready and place the appropriate amount underneath and on top of the dutch oven. The general rule is to take the diameter of your oven, say 12 inches. Then subtract three (12 - 3 = 9) so you would put 9 coals underneath. For the top you would add 3 to the diameter (12 + 3 =15) so you would put 15 coals on the top. Also, make sure you prep the next wave of coals long before you need them. That way they will be ready by the time the previous wave dies.
4) At this point put the dutch oven on the coals. Every 15 minutes or so you need to turn the dutch oven about a quarter turn and do the same thing to the lid. This keeps everything cooking evenly and eliminates hot spots. After about 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours you are done!
5) Take the chicken out for carving and the potatoes for serving. You can then save the broth if you wish.
September 18th, 2012← BackNext →
MYOG Tree Savers
DIY Guide: How To Dehydrate Ground Beef
How To Make Easy Dutch Oven Apple Cobbler