How To Make Dutch Oven Pizza (the easy way!)
When you're doing some serious car camping you should be serious about your meals. This is an, almost, instant way to make pizza in the dutch oven. It has a very short cook time (if you preheat the oven), is extremely easy to make, tastes amazing, and is loved by both kids and adults so it's great for the family camping trip.
What you'll need:
- 12” Boboli pizza crusts
- Pizza sauce (your favorite spaghetti sauce works great)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Whatever toppings you like
Now, all you really need to do is put the sauce on the crust, add the cheese, throw the toppings on and put it in the dutch oven with some coals until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. That being said I'll go through how we do it.
We have done this a couple times and it always turns out great. We also have used this method with 'Just Add Water' pizza dough mix which was excellent as well. When using uncooked dough you may want to add a couple coals to the bottom to ensure a fully cooked crust.
1) Get your coals started
2) Take out a pizza crust and brush a little olive oil around the edge and sprinkle some garlic salt on the oil.
3) Spread the desired amount of sauce evenly across the pizza, take care to not cover the crust your salted.
4) Add the cheese and your toppings (we used pepperonis & peppers)
5) Now, take a napkin and drip some olive oil on it. Line the inside of the dutch oven with a very thin film of oil.
6) Carefully place your pizza into the dutch oven. My Lodge 12” was a little too small so we kind of squished the edge a little to get it in – yet another reason for me to get a 14” dutch oven.
7) Put about 9 coals on the bottom and 16 or more on top (or just cover the top with coals).
8) Check and rotate the dutch oven and lid every 10 minutes give or take.
9) Once the cheese is melted and starting to brown the pizza is done!
June 7th, 2014← BackNext →
Glacier Gorge, Colorado - RMNP
Veteran Pheasant Hunt at Black Canyon Wing & Clay
Gear Review: MSR Alpine Dish Brush/Scraper